The Resource South Plate River and Cherry Creek Flood photo collection
- South Plate River and Cherry Creek Flood photo collection
- Collection contains 21 color slides showing a general area south of Sixth Avenue to Alameda Avenue, and either side of the Platte River in the flood plain. Two of the photos were taken a week or so later of the NE quadrant of Sixth Avenue and I-25. Includes photo of Danny Ortiz and David Holliman who were crew members from the Denver Engineering Department. CD with digital images of the slides also available
- Biographical or historical data
- Ken Ball worked with the Denver Engineering Department in the 1960s during the flooding of the South Platte River and Cherry Creek.
- In early summer, 1965, heavy, intense rain on three different days caused outstanding floods on many streams in the South Platte River basin from Plum Creek, just south of Denver, downstream to the Colorado-Nebraska State line. The flood-producing storms brought rainfall of as much as 14 inches in a few hours. The storms occurred over the Greeley Sterling area on June 14-15, over the Plum Creek and Cherry Creek basins on June 16, and over the headwaters of Kiowa and Bijou Creeks on June 17. The flood crest did not pass Julesburg, in the northeast corner of Colorado, until June 20. Six persons were drowned, and two other deaths were attributed to the storms. The total damage amounted to $508.2 million dollars. About 75 percent of this monetary damage occurred in the Denver metropolitan area.
- Cataloging source
- not applicable
ContextContext of South Plate River and Cherry Creek Flood photo collection
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work South Plate River and Cherry Creek Flood photo collection
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.denverlibrary.org/resource/S-m3J-WymT4/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.denverlibrary.org/resource/S-m3J-WymT4/">South Plate River and Cherry Creek Flood photo collection</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.denverlibrary.org/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.denverlibrary.org/">Denver Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Denver Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...